More People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
More people are spending their free time watching movies. Why is this? Is it a good or bad thing?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is undeniable that a large number of people spend their leisure time doing unproductive things like watching TV. The following paragraphs will discuss why this is happening and whether this is a positive or negative development.
There are a wide number of reasons why individuals tend to see movies or serials in their free time. First and foremost, movies are easily accessible now. Unlike in the past, it is not necessary that we have to go to the theatre to watch a latest release. These days with internet or movie libraries we can borrow CDs and watch them immediately. Secondly, the worldwide media provides apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc at a very cheaper price. They have all the latest movies and episodes available all the time. As a result, many people are addicted to this and end up spending time watching these on their TVs or smart phones.
Watching TV is a passive way to spend time and it leads to less social interaction. More screen time has negative effects on both adults and children. As for children, they might have speech and language problems, attention deficits and so on whereas adults are so engrossed in the movies that they don’t spend enough time with family or have face to face communication with them. Moreover, most of the individuals do not have any hobbies like gardening, knitting and so on as they do not spend time for it and instead spend time watching TV.
To conclude, I personally feel that spending a lot of time watching movies has an overall negative impact on people as it is an unproductive activity. Hence, screen time should be reduced and leisure time should be used for better purposes.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Many People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays people have free access to online movies and music | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- We Can Now Watch Movies On Phones So There Is No Need To Go To The Cinema | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Some People Spend A Lot Of Money On Tickets To Go To Sporting Or Cultural Events | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | People prefer to watch foreign films rather than local films
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- University Education Should Be Free For All Students | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- University Education Should Be Free For All Students | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample