More And More Shops Are Open For Longer Hours Every Day | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
In some countries, more and more shops are open longer hours every day. What are the positive and negative developments of this?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays, it is not uncommon to notice many shops extending their work hours to meet current market needs. Both advantages and drawbacks are associated with this trend.
On the one hand, stores extending their working hours benefit consumers and the society in many ways. Instead of having to store up foods and other perishable items at home, individuals are able to purchase fresh food and commodities on a daily basis. This provides convenience for the public, especially those who work in night shifts.
Moreover, extra hours of operation can form a competitive commercial market as more stores have overlapping business hours. For example, when two supermarkets both stay open until midnight, customers have accessibility to more products and can compare the available options. It would in turn prevent monopolies and form a healthier economic network. Additionally, with longer opening hours, more employees need to be hired to cope with the increased workload. Such growing demand for labor would help a country’s employment situation and benefit household financial status, which further lead to national economic growth.
On the flip side, this prevalence can trigger side effects on domestic relationships. Since shop assistants are allocated longer work hours, they have less time to spend with their spouse and children and this can lead to problems at home. For example, children who have both parents working are more likely to spend their time with internet and television. These kids are easily influenced by media. Lack of supervision may also lead to disruptive behaviour in children.
To conclude, after analysing both sides of the argument it is not hard to see that when shops remain open for longer hours, it has both positive and negative effects on the society.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Shops Are Open 24 Hours A Day 7 Hours A Week | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Local Shops Have Closed Because Of Large Shopping Malls | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Growth Of Online Shopping Will Lead To The Closure Of Shops In Cities And Towns | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about supermarkets and small shops
- Many Local Shops Are Closing Are They Are Unable To Compete With Large Supermarkets | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- Many People Work Long Hours, Leaving Very Little Time For Leisure Activities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Work Long Hours | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Recent Popularity Of Online Shopping Will Result In The End Of High Street Shops | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Local Shops Are Closing Down Because Of Supermarkets