More and more people are suffering from health problems caused by modern life style which cannot be treated with modern medicines. Some people think that a return to traditional medicines should be encouraged. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Even though modern medicine has increased the life expectancy in general, the overall quality of life has taken a plunge due to health problems caused by the modern lifestyle. While some recommend a complete go back to traditional medicine, may others including me recommend a combination of traditional and modern medicines to adequately address the situation because traditional medicines were designed at a time that did not take the modern lifestyle into account.
As technology advanced and demand for goods increased, machines started performing many of the common tasks that humans used to perform because machines are more efficient in performing mundane tasks. As a result, the daily physical activity of humans has significantly decreased; for example, motor cars have eliminated the need to walk or cycle. Furthermore, as population increased the demand for food and supplies has increased with it. To meet that new demand, companies are producing genetically modified crops that yield a higher output but can cause diseases such as cancer. Although traditional medicines are very effective in treating both common and complex health conditions, they are not designed to manage issues caused by the lack of physical activity or the consumption of unhealthy foods.
Modern medicine has been making tremendous progress in managing life style problems such as obesity and cancer. However, there are a lot of known and unknown side effects to them because they have not been in the market for long. Traditional medicines on the other hand are devoid of such side effects and can treat a lot of issues that people face today. In addition, since modern medicine has assumed prominence today, traditional medicine is ignored to a great extent and does not receive enough funding. Therefore, traditional medicine is not catching up in some of the areas where modern medicine is doing wonders.
In conclusion, modern lifestyle has created medical problems that were absent in the past when humans consumed more natural produce and exercised more. As a result, traditional medicine that was created without taking the modern lifestyle into account cannot solve all the medical problems of the day even though it offers effective cures to many illnesses. Modern medicine, on the other hand, received significant research attention in the last century and has made strides in curing many diseases caused by lifestyle. Therefore, I recommend a combination of both traditional and modern medicines to create a harmonious balance.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Traditional Medicines Are Better Than Modern Medicines
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Are Alternative Medicines Harmful?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
- The Rise Of Convenience Food Helps The Modern Lifestyle | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Modern Inventions Cause More Problems Than Solutions
- The prevention of health problems and illness is more important than treatment and medicine | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Problems Caused By Overcrowding In Cities
- Band 9 essay sample | Keeping pets can cause health problems in children
- IELTS essay: Has technology caused traditional ways of life to die
- Band 8 IELTS essay sample | The growing number of overweight people is putting a strain on the health care system. Some people think that the best way to deal with this problem is to introduce more physical education lessons in school curriculum