More And More Newspapers And News Channels Are Using Photographs To Support Their News Articles And Stories | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
More and more newspapers and news channels are using photographs to support their news articles and stories. Some people think photographs are not a reliable source of news while others consider photographs to be irrefutable. Discuss both sides and give your opinion
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is true that an increasing number of media houses use photographs to validate their news stories. While some people think photographs are not a vital source of information others opine that their role in disseminating news is indispensable. In my opinion using photographs in the news columns plays a very important role in stimulating interest among the readers and aids in easy understanding.
On the one hand, some people think that photographs are not a valid source of news for the simple reason that they can be doctored. In this age of Photoshop and multimedia, there is no way we can be assured of the authenticity of images that we come across in newspapers and on the internet. In fact, there have been many instances when photos were morphed or edited to taint the reputation of some well-known people. A morphed image looks original but that is not the case. Countless celebrities and politicians have paid the price of fame by having their morphed images in compromising or unflattering positions published in glossies. Since photos look truer than words, they do considerable harm and it is not always possible for a tainted person to regain their reputation. Hence, the argument that photos are not a valid source of information certainly holds some water.
On the other hand, photos make the story livelier. They arouse the interest of the reader and make them want to read the whole story. Also, we can never dismiss the fact that photos capture the moments as they are and are an accurate representation of the event or the happening. Of course, they can be manipulated but in the absence of any manipulation, they are the ultimate truth. One has to admit that the vast majority of photos published in newspapers are genuine and provide a clear picture of the news story. In addition, readers are able to understand the news easily when the news stories are supported by photos.
To conclude while it is true that people have different views I believe photographs in news stories are indispensable as they not only kindle the interest among the readers but also facilitate easy understanding of the news story.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | News stories on TV and in newspapers are very often accompanied by pictures
- News Stories Are Often Accompanied By Pictures | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In many countries, very few young people read newspapers or follow the news on TV | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Although More People Read News On The Internet, Newspapers Will Remain The Most Important Source Of News | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Although More And More People Read News On The Internet, Newspapers Will Remain The Most Important Source Of News | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Few Young People Read Newspapers
- Band 7.5 essay sample | News is often accompanied by images
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers on the society
- News Editors Decide What To Broadcast On Television And What To Print In Newspapers | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers.