Millions of People Still Go Hungry | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
In spite of the advances made in agriculture, many people around the world still go hungry. Why is this the case? What can be done about this problem?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Despite the fact that farming methods and yield improved dramatically over the last century, millions of people still do not have enough food to eat. There are social, economical and climatic reasons behind this disturbing phenomenon.
Famine or food scarcity only affects the poor. Whether they grow their food or not, the rich will ensure that they have enough on their platter. The poor, unfortunately, lack this purchasing power. If food is not made available at concessional rates, they cannot have to access to it. Most of the time poor people do not own any land. Consequently, they cannot grow their own food. They have to buy their food and when food prices increase, they cannot have their fill.
The change in climate also causes famine. Extreme drought like conditions persist in some countries. For example, in some parts of Africa it has not rained in years. Consequently, people living in those regions cannot grow their crops. They are dependent on food grown in other areas and if that is not available, then these people will have to go hungry. Political reasons also contribute to this problem. Many countries refuse to share their water resources with other countries. Often times this is caused by the enmity between these nations. Unfortunately, this practice affects the food security in those countries that do not have adequate water resources of their own.
In order to solve this problem, the governments need to ensure that food is available for the poor for free or at concessional rates. Rich countries which grow surplus food should show the magnanimity to share their excess with poor countries that do not have enough food to feed their people. International organizations can play an important role in ensuring that nations share their wealth and resources with those that need it.
To conclude, hunger continues to haunt millions of people even in the 21st century. Often times this is caused by the inequitable distribution of wealth and resources. Rich countries and rich people can do a lot to ensure that the poor also have access to a basic necessity like food.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments and get a band score estimate for free.
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Should wealthy nations share their wealth among poor nations
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Rich Countries Are Getting Richer And Poor Countries Are Getting Poorer
- Band 8 essay | Should wealthy nations help poor nations?
- Band 9 essay sample | The rich nations should help the poor nations
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Wealthy Nations Should Accept Refugees
- IELTS essay sample | The rich are getting richer
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that the range of technology currently available is increasing the gap between rich people and poor people.
- IELTS essay sample | Governments should take action to ensure that people lead healthy lives
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of globalisation
- Some People Think That GM Foods Can Solve Food Scarcity | Band 8 IELTS essay sample