Many people work long hours, leaving very little time for leisure activities. Does this situation have more advantages or more disadvantages? Give reason for your answer and include any relevant example from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
A great number of people are working for long hours, thus having barely any time for leisure interests. In my opinion, this situation brings about more disadvantages for both the individual and the society.
Firstly, working for long duration and not having enough time for physical activities or hobbies can lead people to be victims of numerous hazardous health issues. It is of no doubt that in the pursuit of money and career goals one will definitely neglect one’s health. For example, those whose jobs require them to sit glued to their computer screen might become obese in the long run. In addition to that, starring at the screen for long hours can entail different types of eye diseases such as eye strain and blurry vision. Moreover, it is an undeniable fact that one will most probably suffer from mental illnesses like stress and depression if one does not dedicate a certain amount of time for practicing leisure activities, be it indoors or outdoors.
Working overtime has a negative impact on the society as well. It is true that when people living in the same area engage in a / practice a common activity, ties between them are reinforced, thus leaving room for socialisation and making friends. Therefore, having little time devoted for hobbies and interests can somehow jeorpardise one’s relationship with the society. Sometimes, one needs to get out of one’s circle, befriend new people with whom one can share one’s happiness and sorrow.
So as maintained earlier, I believe that people must strike a balance between their professional and personal lives to avoid being victims of various health issues and to create and live in a better society.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Many People Have Very Little Time For Leisure Activities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That It Is A Good Idea To Have A Detailed Plan For Leisure Time Activities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Children’s Leisure Activities Must Be Educational | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Participation In Leisure Activities | Band 9 IELTS Report | Academic Module Task 1
- Some People Think That It Is Important To Use Leisure Time For Activities That Improve Mind | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Shops Are Open 24 Hours A Day 7 Hours A Week | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Like To Spend Their Leisure Time With Their Colleagues | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say Parents Should Encourage Their Children To Take Part In Organized Group Activities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- A Growing Number Of People Work By Telecommuting | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Young People Are Leaving Their Homes And Villages And Moving To Cities