Many People Believe That Zoos Are Cruel | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Many people think that zoos are cruel. Other think they are helpful in protecting rare animals. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me. Follow us on Youtube for essay organization ideas and writing tips.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The practice of putting animals in artificial zones away from their natural habitats has stirred up a controversy around the world. Some people believe that this has a devastating effect on animals but others see this as beneficial for endangered creatures. In my opinion, if given appropriate attention, zoos can contribute to saving the lives of rare animals. Both viewpoints will be analysed in this essay in more depth.
On the one hand, some people see zoos as a cause of concern and dismiss / condemn the idea of keeping animals away from nature to live and breed in a limited space. This is because of the horrifying conditions of many zoos around the world especially in under developed areas, where animals are kept in dreadful conditions. For example, in 2007, three zoos in the USA were forced to close by the government after several reports claiming the outrageous treatment of animals came to light. Therefore, the viewpoint that sees zoos are cruel certainly holds water.
On the other hand, many argue that zoos contribute to preserving animals which are on the verge of being extinct. This is because zoos protect those animals from illegal hunters, poachers and dangerous conditions. For instance, tigers and crocodiles are being killed for their skin to be sold in the black market. Were these animals left to live in their natural habitat, their extinction would be inevitable. Thus, keeping animals in the zoo is advantageous from this perspective.
In conclusion, after analysing both sides of the argument, it seems to me that zoos play a key role in protecting animals. It is hoped that the rights and welfare of animals are prioritised by all organisations around the globe and zoos are kept under close scrutiny to ensure the safety of their animals.
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is No Place For Zoos In The Twenty-first Century
- IELTS essay: Should zoos be banned?
- Some People Believe That The Use Of Animals For The Purpose Of Experiments Is Cruel | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Keeping pets can cause health problems in children
- Today Many People Do Not Realize How Important The Natural World Is | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | It Is Unfair To Use Animals For Our Benefit
- Some People Prefer One-On-One Lessons, While Others Prefer Groups | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That New Houses Should Be Built In The Same Style As The Older Houses In the Local Area | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Longer Prison Sentences Are The Best Way To Decrease Crime | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many Parents Encourage Young People To Leave Home When They Become Older | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample