Many People Believe That International Tourism Is A Bad Thing For Their Own Countries | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Many people believe that international tourism is a bad thing for their own countries. What are the reasons? What are the solutions to change negative attitudes?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
It is commonly believed by a significant number of people that foreign tourists have a negative impact on their countries. There are several reasons for this negative attitude towards international travellers. This essay will first highlight price inflation and influence on local culture as the root causes of the aforementioned issue and then it will discuss certain measures that could be taken to handle the situation.
To begin with, international tourism adversely affects the prices of basic goods and services in an economy. Needless to say, whether it is for a business or leisure purpose, foreign visitors tend to spend a significant amount of money during their visit, and such transactions occur in foreign currencies which are higher in value when compared to the local currency. As a result, the local service providers charge higher for their goods and services. While this price inflation barely affects the foreigner, it hurts the local resident. For instance, according to some estimates, local food and lodging costs in Thailand increased dramatically in the last three decades. The same problem exists in almost all tourist places.
Similarly, multi-cultural visitors from different countries impact the local culture negatively. Foreign travellers tend to show disrespect towards traditional customs of the host country. As an illustration, in Malaysia, tourists consume alcohol in public and wear certain clothes which expose their bodies; consequently, local people get influenced and adopt similar practices. If tourists had respected norms and traditions of the host society, local values would not have been affected negatively.
However, aforementioned issues may be resolved by adopting certain proactive measures. Firstly, governments should design certain policies to control the price of local services regardless of foreign visitor’s spending. Likewise, airport management, in collaboration with local authorities, should run cultural awareness campaigns for non-native visitors.
To conclude, the inhospitable perception that the local people have of the international tourists can be explained in many ways. In my opinion, it is essential for the governments of hosting countries to change such negative attitude by controlling price hikes and making overseas visitors aware of local values.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Some People Think International Tourism Is Bad for Their Country
- Many People Think That International Tourism Is Bad | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- International Tourism Creates Tension Rather Than Understanding Between People From Different Cultures | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- International Tourism Creates Tension Rather Than Understanding | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Over the last few decades, there has been an increase in international tourism | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Tourism Should Be Banned In Some Areas To Protect Culture
- Band 7 essay sample | Travelers should follow local customs
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Visitors should follow local customs
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Foreign visitors should pay more than local visitors for cultural and historical attraction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?