Many people believe that advertising has negative effects on consumers. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
These days, in order to reach a large number of people, companies advertise their products extensively. Some people think that these advertisements have negative effects on customers. I wholeheartedly agree with this view because adverts mostly show misleading information to create false demand and hire famous people to attract consumers. In fact, some of them are aimed at children who are too young to understand the consequences of using the advertised products.
To begin with, most of the time ads compel people to buy unnecessary products. This is because the mere aim of companies is to attract a large number of consumers and inflate their profits. In order to achieve this goal, they come up with an attractive advertisement showing fabricated information which forces people to buy things they do not even need. Another significant concern about TV commercials is that the companies hire well-known celebrities to endorse their products. This misleads people into believing that their favourite stars also use those products and hence they buy them. Additionally, some of the advertisements especially commercials promoting fast food are aimed at children.
These products are mostly made of ingredients that can have adverse effects on the health of children. Take for example, advertisement for chips. When children watch an ad of chips on TV, they force their parents to buy them chips. Eating chips, which is full of salt, oil and monosodium glutamate, can make them lazy and obese. Children, who are usually immature, do not understand the consequences of eating such unhealthy food. Thus it is evident that adverts have damaging effects on children.
To conclude, I totally agree with the view that adverts are harmful because they mislead consumers with false claims and hire celebrities to endorse their products enhance their sales. Worse still, sometimes ads target little ones who have no clue about how dangerous these items could be for them.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some Methods Used In Advertising Are Unethical | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about the positive and negative aspects of advertising
- Some Of The Methods Used In Advertising Are Unethical And Unacceptable In Today’s Society | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: Should consumers avoid over packaged products?
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- Using A Computer Every Day Can Have More Negative Than Positive Effects On Young Children | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Sale Of Popular Consumer Goods Reflect The Power Of Advertising | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- If You Sell A Product And People Buy It, There Is No Need To Advertise It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- PTE Academic Essay | Do you think consumers should avoid over packaged products?
- Educating People About The Harmful Effects Of Junk Food Will Reduce Its Consumption | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample