Many People are choosing to find information online rather than in books. Is this positive or negative development?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The internet is a treasure house of information. Today an increasing number of people prefer to find information through web sources rather than books. In my opinion, this is a positive development which benefits the environment and helps save money.
Firstly, discovering information online plays a vital role in protecting the environment. When people depend on websites for news and information, trees do not have to be cut down to produce paper. This helps save the forest cover and reduces the impact of global warming. Thus it is evident that finding information online is beneficial for the environment.
Secondly, most of the information online can be accessed for free or at minimal costs. By contrast, paper based books and magazines are expensive and poor people cannot afford them. To cite an example, a large number of research students complete their thesis by accessing data for their project on websites like Scribd.com where most of the journals can be downloaded for free.
Of course, there are some downsides to using the internet for finding information. To start with, it is not always possible to verify the accuracy of online data. There are also some health risks to excessive usage of digital devices. It can cause eye fatigue, blurred or strained vision.
To recapitulate, finding information online is a positive development because it helps save the environment by reducing the use of paper. Also, online information is readily available to all sections of the society. Of course, excessive use of the internet can lead to some health problems but they can be overcome by limiting the hours of usage.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- The Internet Has Replaced Traditional Books As Sources Of Information | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e-books rather than paper books. Do the advantages outweigh disadvantages?
- In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e books rather than paper books | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Nowadays people have free access to online movies and music | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Books Are Becoming Less Important As A Source Of Information
- Books Are Losing Importance As A Source Of Information | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | The internet is not a reliable source of information
- Band 9 essay sample | Printed books and magazines have lost their importance
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of the internet