Many Local Shops Are Closing Are They Are Unable To Compete With Large Supermarkets | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Many small, local shops are closing as they are unable to compete with large supermarkets in the area. How does this affect local communities? How could this situation be improved?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is true that the majority of the small shops / shoppers / grocers are unable to survive in this world of stiff competition and are forced to close down eventually. Though the situation can cause serious drawbacks to the local community, there are ways that the local government could step in and implement damage control.
There are many issues which communities face due to the closure of local shops. Firstly, the competition will be entirely out of the frame and supermarket chains will begin to control the business. It is not good for any economy when big companies have the final say on pricing.
I still remember the introduction of Reliance supermarkets in our locality which was very attractive initially for the customers in terms of pricing. However, the situation changed later when the local shops closed down due to lack of business. Secondly, when local shops close people lose the luxury of having all the necessary items at a walkable from home. This can hurt older adults staying away from their children. They will be forced to take third party help to get the necessities and this can be challenging at times.
The government can take various measures to mitigate the potential problems explained above. One effective method which local government can implement is to put a cap on the prices of essential products and monitor them strictly. This will make sure that supermarket chains cannot dictate the pricing and eventually helps local shops to sustain themselves. Another possible solution is to set up various subsidized sources by the government for the local shops to purchase goods from. As a result, more and more people will be attracted to start such shops and ultimately this will help people especially those who cannot afford to travel long distances for their grocery shopping.
In conclusion, it has become quite common for small businesses to close down because of their inability to compete with large malls. However, various measures can be adopted by the government to keep this in check for the benefit of the community and the nation as a whole.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Local Shops Are Closing Down Because Of Supermarkets
- Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets, many small local businesses are unable to compete | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- In Recent Years Many Local Shops Have Closed Because Customers Travel To Large Shopping Malls | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about supermarkets and small shops
- Band 7.5 Letter Sample | Local Council Is Closing A Community Centre
- Some People Think That The Closure Of Local Businesses Will Bring About The Death Of Local Communities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Your Local Council Is Planning To Close The Health And Leisure Centre | IELTS Letter Sample
- Large Businesses Have Big Budgets And Hence People Buy Their Products | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Recent Popularity Of Online Shopping Will Result In The End Of High Street Shops | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Living In Large Cities Today Poses Many Problems For People | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample