Many Crimes Are Often Related To The Consumption Of Alcohol | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Many crimes are often related to the consumption of alcohol. Some people think that the best way to reduce the crime rate is to ban alcohol. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Thanks to an increase in the consumption of hard liquors, many countries are reporting a rise in alcohol related crimes. However, while many people believe that such crimes can be reduced by completely banning the sale of liquor, I still feel that there are better ways to reduce alcohol induced crimes.
On the one hand, banning the sale of alcohol can reduce crimes. When there is no way to buy alcohol, it will automatically reduce its consumption. Take India, for example. The Indian Government has prohibited the sale of liquor in Bihar, a state in India, which has led to a considerable decline in domestic violence cases in the state. Thus, I concede that banning alcohol seems to be a good solution.
However, despite the obvious results of prohibiting the liquor sale, I still believe that preventing alcohol induced crimes is a better way to remedy the situation. There are various ways to manage these crimes such as imposing hefty fines on offenders, or longer jail term to the criminals booked under alcohol related crime. Likewise, the government should also limit how much liquor a shop can sell in a day, resulting in a restricted quantity available for consumption. In my opinion, when alcohol is banned, people will resort to other replacements like tobacco or drugs, which will only worsen the situation. Also, if alcohol is banned, people may resort to illicit liquor. Hooch tragedies are common in states where alcohol is illegal. Therefore, preventing these crimes seems to be a feasible way to tackle this problem.
Finally, another way to control alcohol related crime is increasing the price of liquor. This will mean that people have to spend more money on the same quantity triggering a decline in its consumption. I believe that banning alcohol not only affects people who do not commit any crime after consuming it, but also impacts the businesses which sell them. Therefore, in my opinion, if the prices are increased, the consumption can probably be reduced.
To conclude, although banning of alcohol seems to be a good way that might reduce alcohol related crime rates, I feel that effectively managing such crimes and increasing alcohol prices are better ways to resolve this issue.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Should the same laws which prohibit the sale & consumption of heroin be applied to tobacco? Discuss.
- Many Criminals Commit More Crimes As Soon As They Are Released From Prison | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Countries Around The World Will Be Facing Significant Challenges Related Not Only To The Environment | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes Again After Serving Time In Prison
- In Many Countries, Prison Is The Most Common Solution For Crimes | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Crime Rate Is Decreasing Due To Advanced Technology | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Longer Prison Sentences Are The Best Way To Decrease Crime | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample