Many historical sites and museums are mainly visited by tourists, not local people. Why is this the case? What can be done to attract local people to visit these historical sites and museums ?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is true that historical places and museums attract a large number of tourists; however, locals show little interest in them. In my opinion, there are several reasons behind this trend and governments can take certain measures to encourage locals to visit.
To begin with, People find it boring to visit such places. In other words, they are already familiar with their culture and history and perhaps have nothing new to discover by visiting the same museum repeatedly; therefore, they avoid visiting these places as they consider such visits a waste of time. A tourist, on the other hand, is eager to explore new places of interest in their destinations , and museums and historical places will help them to have a better understanding of the history and culture of the countries they are visiting. Another reason is that museums charge an entry fee which could be the major factor that discourages the local people . If a person visited it once, they would avoid visiting it again because nobody wants to pay again to watch the same artworks.
Governments can take steps to encourage local residents to attend museums and historical buildings. First, authorities can organize cultural events and regular exhibitions at these places to provide people with a new experience every time they visit them. The second solution would be offering free tickets and discounts at the weekends so that low income and middle income families can visit. For example, schools can provide assignments related to the history of a country, and this will motivate parents to take their children to the historical museums to collect useful information which will help them excel in their studies.
To conclude, local people do not enjoy visiting museums or historical places because there is not much they can learn from these places. Foreigners, on the other hand, are curious to learn more and more about their destinations and hence they make it a point to visit these places. The government can encourage more natives to visit by conducting interesting programmes like exhibitions at these places and offering free or subsidised entry.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Local People Do Not Visit Museums And Historical Places | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | More Tourists Than Local People Visit Historical Places
- Many Museums Are Visited By Tourists, Not Local People | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Only Tourists Visit Museums And Monuments
- Band 8 essay sample | Museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Foreign visitors should pay more than local visitors for cultural and historical attraction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some Museums Charge An Entry Fee
- Do you think people should adapt and accept the culture of the country they visit? | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Museums And Art Galleries Should Concentrate On Local Works Of Arts | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Should museums charge an entry fee?