It is very clear now that English should be the primary foreign language taught in all schools around the world. Learning a different foreign language before English, in today’s world, is a waste of time. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay sample on this topic written by one of our students. Can’t get a good score in the IELTS writing module? Get your essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Undoubtedly English has become the lingua franca; it is, therefore, suggested that learning any foreign language other than English is merely a squandering of precious time, and English should be taught as an elementary language in all learning institutions across the globe. However, I can only partially agree with this view. While it is true that English offers numerous benefits to people, it is up to each individual to decide which foreign language they want to learn.
To start with, the reason why English should be taught globally is that it is spoken and understood worldwide. Those who have a strong command of this language have more lucrative job offers than those who do not possess its knowledge. To cite an example, MNCs have been established in many parts of the world especially in developing nations, and they prefer candidates with fluency in English / flawless communication skills in English. Hence, starting to learn this language at a young age / starting to learn this language early is the only way to grasp it completely. In addition, knowledge of English serves as academic credentials. To elaborate it, a good English user is considered highly knowledgeable in even non- English speaking countries.
Furthermore, widespread use of English has made geographical barriers insignificant. These days individuals tend to travel to other countries more than ever before, as this language makes it easier for people to know about the culture and tradition of other lands; consequently, tourism is booming. Therefore, in order to enjoy sightseeing English is vital. Even so, if someone has a passion to learn other foreign languages, it cannot be stated as a waste of time or money. Learning is always useful and has many advantages either directly or indirectly.
In conclusion, learning English certainly has its merits and every student should have the opportunity to master it; however, the argument that learning any other foreign language is a waste of time is absurd because learning is always useful and may offer some benefit or other.
Got an essay on this topic? Post it below in the comments and get a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Useless To Learn Another Foreign Language Before English
- IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- The Only Reason For Learning A Foreign Language Is To Travel Or Work In A Foreign Country | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- The Only Reason For Learning A Foreign Language Is To Travel To Or Work In A Foreign Country | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Experts Believe That It Is Better For Children To Begin Learning A Foreign Language At Primary School | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Only Reason For Learning A Foreign Language Is Work Or Travel | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Learning English Is Often Seen As More Important Than Learning Local Languages | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Having To Speak A Foreign Language Can Cause Serious Problems | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample