It is no longer necessary to use animals for food, clothing or medical research | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is no longer necessary to use animals for food, clothing or medical research. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays, animals are widely used in many areas. Some people think it will be unnecessary to use them in the near future. I disagree with this idea to a certain extent. While it is true that animal products can be replaced by synthetic products in the clothing industry, humans will still need animals for food and medical research.
We do find a lot of ways to avoid using animals. First many types of alternative foods, invented by scientists, taste like meat but are made of soybeans. So people who eat these fake meat dishes can remain vegetarians and still get all the nutrients they need. Using animals for medical research is indeed cruel and immoral. After all, we do not have the right to kill other forms of life for our benefit. Fortunately, the use of animals in medical research and trials is decreasing rapidly. In the clothing industry, also, it is now possible to avoid using animals. For example, synthetic fur and synthetic silk look as good as the real thing and their production does not involve any cruelty to animals.
Even so, it is nearly impossible to stop using animals altogether. For example, fish and meat are an integral part of many cuisines around the world. They are major sources of vitamins, minerals and proteins. Meat substitutes are usually expensive and hard to find in many markets. So, if people are told to stop using animal products, they may fail to get adequate nutrition. Likewise, it is impossible to perform medical research without using animals. Of course, this practice is unethical and scientists are working hard to minimise the use of animals, yet there is no justification for stopping the production of some crucial drugs just because their testing involves animals.
In summary, we need to respect animals’ right to live and reduce their use for purposes of vanity; however we cannot avoid using them for meeting our nutritional requirements or performing medical research.
- IELTS essay: Some people believe that animals should not be used for profit. Do you agree or disagree
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Is it fair to use animals for our benefits?
- IELTS essay sample | Government should only fund scientific research
- Many animals are being hunted to the brink of extinction. How can this issue be tackled?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Everyone Should Adopt Vegetarianism
- Money for postgraduate research is limited | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 IELTS Sample About Factory Farming And Scientific Creation Of Fruits And Vegetables
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- Protecting wild animals is a waste of resources | Band 8 essay samples
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food