It is inevitable that as technology advances, traditional cultures will be lost. It seems that we cannot have these two things together. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
An increasingly digital world indeed has advantages as well as certain disadvantages / downsides associated with it. These are widely visible in our culture and traditions. I partly disagree with the statement that technology and culture cannot thrive together. I believe that although some customs and values are lost, technology has helped in making some other traditions stronger.
Firstly, technology has ignited the power of traditional values and have made them more prevalent. To illustrate, there is a website in India called Shaadi.com that facilitates traditional Indian way of arranged marriages of eligible couples. Another example is of the Indian tourism websites, which acquaint foreigners with India’s rich culture and diversity to lure them to visit the country. Through these examples, it is safe to say that because of technology, traditional cultures are now far reaching, thriving and have impactful presence. Thus, traditions and technology can succeed in tandem.
Consequently, due to a surge in the adoption of technology, some of the traditional values are being lost. One example of it is the plummeting family values amongst youth. They prefer to spend more time online than physically with their families. For instance, in a survey by Times of India, 50% of Indian youth living in urban areas spend more than 6 hours a day online, which means little family and study time. Undoubtedly, family values have been weakened by technology.
To conclude, technological advancements come with opportunity cost. It benefits a society by making certain traditions and customs more powerful and prevalent. On the other hand, it takes away some of our old societal values.
- IELTS essay: Has technology caused traditional ways of life to die
- Cultures And Traditions Change From Generation To Generation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- When A Country Develops Its Technology Traditional Skills And Ways Of Life Die Out | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- In The Past People Used To Wear Traditional Clothes Depending On Their Culture | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Some People Say Music is A Good Way Of Bringing People Of Different Cultures And Ages Together | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Cultural Traditions Will Be Destroyed When They Are Used As Money Making Machines Aimed At Tourists | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- International Tourism Creates Tension Rather Than Understanding Between People From Different Cultures | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Invite Your Friend To A Traditional Celebration In Your Country | Band 7.5 IELTS Letter Sample
- Band 9 essay sample about traditional values of older people