It is becoming popular to take a year off before joining universities | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
It is becoming increasingly popular to have a year off between finishing school and joining universities. What are the advantages or disadvantages?
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Of late, it has become increasingly popular among students to take a gap year after finishing high school. This practice enables them to relax and have fun with friends or family. During this period they can also travel or learn new things. However, in my opinion, taking a break after high school and before joining university does have some drawbacks.
The biggest advantage of taking a break is that students get an opportunity to relax and learn some valuable life lessons during this period. At high school students are under tremendous pressure to get high scores. Consequently, they have to study for prolonged hours, complete numerous assignments and spend many sleepless nights. For instance, a cousin of mine who took her high school public exam last year was always occupied with her studies, tuition and record work. She rarely went to bed before midnight. Furthermore, she stayed away from family events or parties for the whole year. Obviously, students take great pains to perform well in their exams and they deserve a break after high school. During this period they can travel or find a part time job that enables them to learn new skills that might help them in the future. Traveling or working part time will also give them an idea of what to expect when they have to travel for work or studies in the future.
On the flip side, taking a break from studies can have some negative effects. To start with, many students will simply waste this time doing nothing useful. Another disadvantage is that when students take a break, they may lose interest in studies. Actually, many of them will never go to university. In addition, because of this discontinuity students may forget many concepts they learned at school. Consequently, when they join university they will have to work doubly hard.
To conclude, taking a gap year after high school is only beneficial for those students who use that time to engage in something productive. Those who take this break to relax and have fun will have to work harder when they join university after a year. Worse, some of them may never join university.
- Some students take a year off between school and university | IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Students Should Take A Gap Year Between High School And University
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Taking a Gap Year | Band 8 Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample |Advantages And Disadvantages Of Taking A Year Off Between High School And University
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | More And More Students Want To Study At International Universities
- Joining two sentences with an adjective
- Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important | IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 report about US University applications
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Children Have Too Much Free Time
- Band 8 letter sample | Letter to a friend asking for assistance with finding a job