Many management interviews are based around assessing not only a person’s level of experience and knowledge but also their personality. Is leadership an innate skill? What other characteristics do companies look for in a manager?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Recruiters consider the applicant’s personality while selecting them for managerial roles. Leadership, good communication skills, empathy and good manners are a few important characteristics that companies expect from a manager. In my opinion, leadership is an acquired skill due to the reasons outlined below.
Nobody is born with the skill or talent to lead a group of people or a community. Experience from our lives helps us to learn and become a good leader. Taking initiatives and helping the group in various tasks and becoming a role model for them is possible only through repetitive practice. It is rare for a newbie to be successful in the first few attempts. For instance, Mahatma Gandhi was a remarkable leader and from his autobiography we can see that it was through his life experiences and practice that he learned the skills required to be a good leader. Therefore, I believe that leadership is not an inborn skill but an acquired one.
Along with leadership quality some other factors are also considered while selecting a good manager. These are good communication skills, empathetic nature and good manners. Firstly, good communication is extremely important for a leader as he needs to communicate effectively within his group as well as to the customers. In addition, empathy is an equally important characteristic for a manager because only then his subordinates or customers will feel free to express their feelings to him. Finally, the ability to maintain one’s cool even during tough times makes one an ideal choice for a manager.
For instance, managers may have to deal with tough clients and during such situations it is necessary for them to be calm and good mannered to cope with the situation and resolve it. Therefore, apart from leadership quality, all the other characteristics mentioned above are extremely important for a good manager. In conclusion, leadership is not an inherent skill but an acquired or learned one. Managers who possess leadership quality, communication skills, empathy and good manners will do utmost justice to their roles.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- World history suggests that violence and conflict were more evident under male leadership than under female leadership
- Research Indicates That The Characteristics We Are Born With Have More Influence On Our Personality | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Intelligence Is Innate; Others Think It Can Be Improved Through Learning | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Recruiting Companies Should Hire People Who Can Work Independently | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Speaking practice | Describe a skill you learned in childhood
- Band 7.5 IELTS Letter Sample | A Letter To The Manager
- IELTS essay sample | Young managers are better than older managers. Do you agree?
- Band 8 Letter Sample To a Hotel Manager About Lost Documents
- Band 7.5 letter sample: Permission to give a presentation
- Band 7.5 IELTS Complaint Letter | Letter To The Manager Of A Department Store