International tourism is becoming a major industry. Some people think it causes more tension than the anticipated understanding between different countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Tourism has become a major industry over the last few decades. In fact, for some countries tourists are the biggest source of revenue. While it is generally believed that tourism, especially international tourism, promotes understanding among people of different cultures and beliefs some people argue that it creates more conflicts and tension. I do not quite agree with this. While I do admit that international tourism has some negative aspects to it, in my opinion, its disadvantages pale in comparison to its advantages.
The influx of tourists can certainly cause some problems in the host country. Tourists may damage the local environment by littering around. This can be a real problem in places that attract a large number of people. A few of them might even show disrespect to the local culture and thus create conflicts. However, such incidents are rare. Tourists generally abide by the local rules and customs even if they do not really respect them. Most of them understand the dangers involved in getting into conflicts with the local community. Therefore, the argument that tourism creates more tension does not hold much water.
On the flip side, tourism offers numerous benefits. It benefits travelers as well as their hosts. Tourists help the local economy thrive. During their visit they buy local handicrafts or produce and thus help the local artisans and farmers earn a living. In fact, nations that attract a large number of international tourists have generally higher standard of living because of the valuable foreign exchange they earn. Better still, tourism broadens the perspectives of people. People who travel are more tolerant of change and diversity. They understand that it is all right to speak a different language, have a different skin colour or belong to a different faith. Actually this understanding is what we need in this age where people fight over trivial issues like race, religion or skin colour.
To conclude, after analysing the situation, it is not hard to see that tourism does not cause tension. It might cause environmental problems in extremely popular tourist destinations but the chances of tourists creating conflicts are rather slim. After all, people travel to learn and discover. They will not fly thousands of miles if their only objective was to create conflict in another part of the world.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Post it in the comments below for a free band score estimate.
- Over the last few decades, there has been an increase in international tourism | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Some People Think International Tourism Is Bad for Their Country
- Band 9 Essay Sample | More Tourists Than Local People Visit Historical Places
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Today more and more tourists are visiting places where conditions are difficult
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Only Tourists Visit Museums And Monuments
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | International Sporting Events Are A Waste Of Money And Time
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Foreign visitors should pay more than local visitors for cultural and historical attraction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Tourism Should Be Banned In Some Areas To Protect Culture
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | More And More Tourists Are Visiting Dangerous Places