Intelligent Students Should Be Grouped Together And Taught Separately | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think children of different ability levels should be taught together while others think intelligent children should be taught separately and given special treatment. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some students are more intelligent than others and learn things faster. Therefore, some people insist that intelligent students should be grouped together and taught separately. I don’t agree with this view. In my opinion, separating students on the basis of their academic skills will have a negative impact on the performance of average or weak students.
It is easy to understand why some people insist that intelligent students should be taught separately. Since they learn concepts more easily, they can progress at a faster pace. This even enables them to learn much more than what is included in the standard curriculum. For example, in some schools, they give medical and entrance coaching for intelligent students as soon as they reach 7th or 8th grade. In this age of tough competition this enables them to have an edge over their peers.
However, in my opinion, this practice of separating students is unlikely to offer any real benefits. To start with, the performance of intelligent students is not affected when they are taught with average students. Of course, when there are weaker students in the class, the teacher may take longer to finish the lessons, but the standard curriculum is designed to incorporate these delays. On the flip side, separating students may further lower the grades of average students. When all the students in the class are average, they lose the motivation to work harder. What’s more, when average or weak students are taught separately, it will make them feel inferior and affect their performance. After all, nobody wants to be labeled as less intelligent or average.
To conclude, there is no real merit to separating students on the basis of their academic ability. This practice is unlikely to improve the performance of bright sides but it will definitely affect the grades of average students.
- Essay: Should disobedient students be taught separately?
- Band 7 essay samples: Should noisy and disobedient students be taught separately?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students be separated on the basis of their academic performance?
- Band 9 essay sample | Students should be separated according to their academic skills
- IELTS essay sample | Money management should be taught at school
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Schools Should Reward Students Who Show Progress
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Leaders Should Be Intelligent
- IELTS Band 7.5 Essay Samples: Money Management Skills Should Be Taught At Schools
- IELTS essay sample | Should students attend extra classes after school
- IELTS essay about teachers rewarding students