In Some Societies The Number Of Crimes Committed By Teenagers Is Growing | Band 9 Essay Sample
In some societies the number of crimes committed by teenagers is growing. Some people think that regardless of age, teenagers who commit major crimes should receive adult punishment. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Criminal tendencies have nothing to do with age. It is observed that the number of juveniles committing serious crimes is on the rise. Some people opine that teenagers committing heinous crimes should receive the same punishment as adults. I fully agree with this view. When teen offenders are treated like adults and given the same punishment, it will be a lesson for other teens contemplating crime.
First of all, the age of the offender is irrelevant in the case of grave crimes like murder or rape. Many teenage criminals these days are not afraid of the consequences of their act since most states currently protect them under the Child Protection Law and give them only light punishments. For example they are asked to do community service for 6 months or put in rehabilitation centres for just about a year for misdeeds likes robbery. Juveniles committing major offences are also treated rather leniently. Unfortunately, this sends the wrong message and encourages more teens to commit crime. Therefore it is paramount to give severe punishments to teen offenders so that neither they nor their peers will want to commit crimes again.
Secondly, if a child is old enough to commit a heinous crime, he should definitely be considered old enough to be punished as well. This is vital to reduce the number of repeat crimes committed by these individuals. According to a survey by the Harvard University, countries that award severe punishments for all criminals regardless of their age had a significantly lower juvenile crime rate than the countries that protect children from receiving adult punishments. This is the reason why it is crucial to treat teen offenders just like adults.
In conclusion, the problem of growing juvenile crime can only be tackled by awarding them punishments in accordance with the gravity of the offence that they committed.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- In Some Societies The Number Of Crimes Committed By Teenagers Is Growing | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Juveniles Committing Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- There Has Been An Increase In The Number Of Children Committing Crime | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Teenage Offenders Should Be Treated In The Same As Adult Criminals | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample