In some parts of the world it is becoming popular to research the history of one’s own family. Why might people want to do this? Is it a positive or negative development?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
People are always curious to know about their past. They want to understand who their ancestors and what their ways of living were and whether they had any major events in their life. In my opinion, researching family history is largely a positive development.
In a way, it is always good to be aware of one’s past as it unfolds many mysteries which further gives answers to many unanswered questions. The primary reason to research the history of one’s own family is to discover the origin of one’s ancestors.
Since time immemorial people have been relocating due to education or work related reasons. Generation after generation people move from one place to another to meet their needs and during this course of changing places, the place of origin is forgotten. Sometimes children are given up for adoption immediately after they are born. They lose all contacts with their biological parents. Once they become adults, many of them try to discover their roots. For them this could be a therapeutic experience. For descendants of royal or aristocratic families, researching their roots could be an opportunity to inflate their ego. Also in many cultures it is very important to worship one’s own ancestors for prosperity and good health. Therefore, it becomes imperative to know the ancestors and their origin.
There are also some health related reasons to research family history. Many diseases are hereditary and it is important to know about diseases that run in families. This is particularly important for people who have lost touch with their parents or grandparents. By tracing the history of their family, they will be able to find out whether they are at risk of developing any particular disease.
To conclude, it is always beneficial to know about one’s own family history as it proves to be helpful in various ways. Some may be doing this out of sheer curiosity. Others may have a more valid reason to do so. In either case, there is no harm in discovering who one’s ancestors are.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample | Merits and demerits of researching one’s family history
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More And More People Are Showing An Interest in Finding Out Their Family History
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Some people think that studying history is a waste of time while others think that it is essential to learn | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- World history suggests that violence and conflict were more evident under male leadership than under female leadership
- Money for postgraduate research is limited | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Today many countries import food from different parts of the world | IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Solar energy is becoming more and more popular as a source of household energy in many countries around the world | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related