In Some Countries, A Few People Earn Extremely High Salaries | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
In some countries, a few people earn extremely high salaries. Some people think that this is good for a country, while others believe that the government should control salaries and limit the amount people can earn. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
There is no doubt that there is a wide range of salaries in some nations nowadays. While some people believe that extremely high remunerations are in favour of a nation, others argue that this trend does more harm than good and hence the government should put a cap on how much one can earn. In this essay I will discuss both sides of the argument (write: the argument) and lend my support for the latter view.
Those who believe that high salary packages are good for a country might support it for various reasons. Firstly, higher salaries would bring a better lifestyle to the country. This is because the money always circulates within the country and keeps changing hands. The more the money in circulation, the more the prosperity. Secondly, they might also argue that a high salary means a better job. For example, the traders in investment banks are the people who make millions of dollars every year and undoubtedly trading is one of the most attractive professions.
On the other hand, I would argue that the free upward movement of salaries should be checked and controlled by the government because of the intense competition it creates along with the huge disparity of incomes in a society. Competitiveness beyond a certain point can make human life awful. This is because people get into the rat race and compare them with others rather than enjoying what they already have. Ultimately, this mentality results in stress and tension. Also, the wide range of income difference can lead to criminal activities. This is due to the fact that poor people would find it extremely difficult to earn higher salaries through legal means, and might get tempted into traps of easy money.
To conclude, although the very high salaries may benefit a certain section of the society, it leads to unhealthy competition and a spurt in criminal activities. Therefore, in my opinion, the advantages of this phenomenon are outweighed by the disadvantages and it is the responsibility of the government to check it.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it in the comments below to get a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | In some countries, a few people earn extremely high salaries
- Some People Think That The Government Should Cap The Salaries Of People | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay about the huge salaries of sports people
- IELTS essay sample | Governments should cap IELTS essays at a certain level
- IELTS band 7 essay sample: Celebrities earn more money than other professionals
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Employers Should Pay Higher Salaries To Keep Employees Motivated
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals | Band 8 essay samples
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | There Are More Young People Than Old People In Many Countries
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should give money to homeless people