In recent years, many small local shops have closed because customers travel to large shopping centers or malls to do their shopping. Is this a positive or a negative development?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Of late, more and more customers are moving to large shopping centers and malls rather than the small local shops, and this has forced these shops to close. In my opinion this is a negative development which can make people lose their jobs and also it may affect the tourism.
One serious problem that can arise from the closure of the small shops is that the competition between the small shops and the large shopping centers will disappear. As a result the large malls will stop providing discounts on the goods as they do not face competition; therefore, they will not reduce the prices. For example, malls offer discounts throughout the year to keep their customers away from the small shops. Thus, the closure of small shops will affect the customers.
Another issue is that many people will lose their jobs and become unemployed. In other words, when the small shops close, people employed by them will lose their source of income, and that will put them in a difficult situation. For example, many families run small shops to earn their living. When they go out of business, their families will struggle to survive.
Finally, the closure of small shops in some places will affect the tourism industry. Many tourists prefer the small shops in the streets instead of the big malls, and the reason behind this is that walking in an old beautiful street watching people doing performances and other people shopping is more joyous than being inside a large building of concrete.
In conclusion, although it has become easier for people to do shopping in one large center, the closure of small malls has brought too many problems for this to be considered a positive development.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Local Shops Are Closing Down Because Of Supermarkets
- Some People Have The Opinion That Big Shopping Malls Are Expensive Places As They Charge Higher Prices For Products | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 6.5 essay | Young people spend their time in shopping malls
- Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets, many small local businesses are unable to compete | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 6.5 essay samples: Online shopping has become more popular than in-store shopping
- Some People Think That The Closure Of Local Businesses Will Bring About The Death Of Local Communities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about supermarkets and small shops
- Shopping Has Become More And More Popular As a Leisure Activity
- Topic card: Talk about online shopping
- Shopping Has Become More And More Popular As A Leisure Activity | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample