In Britain When Someone Gets Old They Often Go To Live In A Home With Other Old People | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
In Britain, when someone gets old they often go to live in a home with other old people where there are nurses to look after them. Sometimes the government has to pay for this care. Who do you think should pay for this care, the government or the family? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
In Britain many aged people live in old age homes where their living and healthcare costs are usually borne by the government. This increases the burden on the public exchequer and is not a practice. Hence, in my opinion, adult children should take the responsibility of their aged parents.
The government will be under a tremendous financial strain if it has to look after the growing population of senior citizens in the country. In order to provide good health care to older people, the government collects enormous amounts of taxes from its citizens. As a result, workers get to save only a small amount of money. However, if the liability is on the family, the government need not have to collect higher taxes for the purpose of elderly care. In other words, people can enjoy good income and the authorities can concentrate on improving other weaker aspects of the nation.
Furthermore, when the family pays for the care, they take care to visit their parents frequently to see whether they are receiving good health care. Else, the family will not bother to care because they are not paying for the expenses. In addition, the parents are also benefited from this arrangement as they get to unite with family often which can assure them an emotional support. For example, in Sikkim, a north-eastern state of India, there is a rule that the elderly people should be taken care of only by the family.
In conclusion, I think, it is the responsibility of the family members to take care of the health expenses of their aged parents so that the old people receive support from their children and the government is also not overburdened with elderly care.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay: Who should pay for senior care?
- Some Believe That Elderly People Should Live In Nursing Homes; Others Think They Should Live With Their Family | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Better For Students To Live Away From Home During Their University Studies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- Some People Think That The Government Should Pay One Of The Parents Of Very Young Children To Stay At Home | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- People Especially Mothers Often Decide To Stay At Home To Take Care Of Family | Band 8 IELTS Esssy Sample
- Some People Believe That They Should Keep All The Money They Have Earned | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Argue That Healthcare Should Not Be Provided For Free | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Average Life Expectancy Is Increasing For Both Men And Women | Is This A Positive Development
- Over Sugar Consumption Is Unhealthy. Some People Think That Governments Should Take Responsibility To Control It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample