The following question was asked on an IELTS test held in Brunei in February 2012.
Modern technology has made our lives more complicated. Some people believe that we should do without modern technology and live a simpler life. Do you agree or disagree? This question is taken from www.ielts-blog.com
The way we live today is significantly different from the way our forefathers lived fifty or sixty years ago. Thanks to modern technology, today we have got just about every amenity we need to live a comfortable life. Some people believe that modern technology has made our lives more complicated. They are of the opinion that we should learn to do away with it. Is that possible? Let’s examine.
Modern technology might have made our lives more complicated, but one has got to admit that it has improved our lives in several other ways. For example, cars and buses have made commuting easier. Electricity has literally brightened our lives. Air conditioning has made summer months tolerable. Cell phones and internet make it possible to stay connected wherever we are. Home appliances are a boon for homemakers. Technology has also considerably improved our productivity.
On the flip side, technology has made our lives complicated too. There is no escaping from the always-on connectivity. Before the advent of cellphones and internet, taking a break was a whole lot easier. People just had to pack their bags and go to the place they like to unwind. Now that cellphone terminals are available in virtually every part of the world, people can never escape from their work or problems. Even when they are on a family vacation, few people can resist the temptation to check their work email. This need to stay constantly connected has only made our lives more stressful. Modern technology has also made us physically inactive and prone to develop several lifestyle diseases.
Does that mean that we should do without modern technology? Well, it is not as easy as it sounds. Technology is addictive. It is not easy to live without the technological innovations we are used to enjoying. Can anybody now think of a world where we don’t have access to electricity or telephone? The truth is that we can’t.
After analyzing the situation it is felt that though modern technology has made our lives more complicated, it is not something that we can do without. What we need to do is to use it responsibly.
- IELTS sample essay: Are artists more popular than scientists?
- IELTS Model Essay
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS test in Brunei – February 2012 (Academic module)
- IELTS writing task 2: Do you think that training is necessary to be a good teacher?
- IELTS Sample Essay: Some people think that it is our moral duty to help the poor.
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?