IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?
In many cities crime is increasing. Why does this happen? What can governments do to help reduce crime levels?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge and experience.
Write at least 250 words.
There has been a dramatic increase in criminal activities in urban areas. One only has to read the newspapers or watch television channels to get inundated with stories about crimes. Several factors are responsible for this development. I will discuss them in this essay.
The cost of living has increased immensely in recent times. A large number of people are not even able to put food on the table. When they fail to feed their family, they may get involved in offenses such as shop lifting and robbery. There has also been an increase in the number of people who migrate to urban areas for employment and a better lifestyle. Unfortunately, many of them fail to find jobs and eventually turn to crime to make a living.
Teenagers are often involved in criminal activities. They are influenced by movies and the programs shown on television. In addition, the internet has plenty of resources that encourage people to commit crimes.
The government can play an important role in reducing the crime rate. To start with, the number of policemen patrolling the streets should be increased. The police should also monitor the activities of young students who drop out of school. Parents too need to keep a tab on their children. Finally, the rehabilitation programs in prisons should teach prisoners personal and social skills along with vocational training in order to make them better citizens.
In conclusion, although a number of factors can be responsible for increasing the crime rate, the government can help to control the situation.
- IELTS Essay: Rise in crime-rate among teenagers
- Crime rate among teenagers is on the rise: Essays written by students with suggested corrections
- Linking words: anyway; anyhow; at any rate
- Common mistakes in the use of if-clauses
- Sample essay: Can scientists detect criminal tendencies in a child by mapping his brain at age 3?
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS speaking test in Mumbai – January 2012 (Academic module)
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population