IELTS essay: Who should pay for senior care?
In Britain, when someone gets old they often go to live in a home with other old people where there are nurses to look after them. Sometimes the government has to pay for this care.
Who do you think should pay for this care, the government or the family? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
In Britain, when people age they go to senior care homes where they live under the care of trained care providers. In most cases, the government pays for this care. Some people believe that the family of the elderly person should be required to pay for his or her expenses. However, in my opinion, it should depend on the financial status of the person receiving care.
First of all, let’s assess the factors that force seniors to go to care homes. Many of them are alone and have none to take care of them at home. In many families both spouses work. In this situation, they may find it difficult to care for their parents and consequently they send them to care homes.
Britain also has a large number of single parent households. Many single parents are struggling hard to make both ends meet and hence they don’t have the financial means to support their parents. Families with children, in particular, have more financial liabilities. Senior care, after all, is not cheap. In addition to this, some seniors require specialist care. Many families are incapable of providing this on their own. While it is possible to hire an in-home care provider, it can be quite expensive.
In my opinion, the government certainly has a responsibility to take care of its elderly people. When they were young, they all worked and contributed towards the welfare of the nation. When they are old, the government has to return the favour. However, families that can pay for this care should be required to do so. It should be free for others.
To conclude, the government should take care of the elderly who can’t afford to hire an in-home care provider.
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- Band 9 essay sample: In some countries old people are more valued
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- Topic card: Talk about an elderly person you know
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing
- Band 8 essay sample: Is salary more important than the quality of the workplace?