The following essay question was asked on an IELTS test held in China in January 2012. This question is taken from www.ieltsielts.com
Some people like to go to a live sporting event, while others prefer to stay at home and watch it on television. Which do you prefer? Discuss both views using personal examples.
The way people consume professional sporting events varies from person to person. Some like to watch sports events on television. Others, on the other hand, are more interested in going to the stadium and watch the event in person. Is one approach better than the other? Let’s examine.
When you attend a live sporting event in person, you actually get an opportunity to participate in the event. You get to see your favourite sports persons in flesh and blood. That is probably why some people like to go to a stadium. The excitement that you get when you are part of a cheering crowd is not something that you can experience when you watch the same event at home sitting in front of a TV. In my opinion, it is this eagerness to be a part of the spectacle that draws people to the stadium. After all, watching an event in person is not exactly the same as watching its broadcast on TV.
On the other hand, watching a live sporting event in person does involve some risks. Certain sporting events like racing can cause injury to the spectators as well as to the participants. The exorbitant ticket prices are another problem that discourages people from going to the stadium. Watching a sporting event on TV, on the other hand, costs nothing. You can do it in the comforts of your home: you don’t have to sit in the hot sun sweating. And if you still need company, you can invite your friends and create a mini stadium-like atmosphere at home.
After analyzing the situation, I couldn’t find anything to prove that watching sports events in person is better than watching them on TV or vice –versa. It is actually about personal preference and affordability. The truth is that most people who find contentment in watching a sporting event on television will definitely appreciate it if they get an opportunity to watch it in person. In most cases the factors that discourage people from going to the stadium is not a lack of interest but the huge price of the ticket and the limited availability of seats. If tickets are available and they have the money to spend, they are more likely to watch it in person than on TV.
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS sample essay: Modern technology has made our lives more complicated
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS writing task 2: Do you think that training is necessary to be a good teacher?
- IELTS Essay: Older people are going to outnumber younger people…
- IELTS essay: Do you think that admiring film and sports personalities is a good idea?
- IELTS sample essay: Are artists more popular than scientists?
- IELTS Model Essay
- IELTS test in India in November 2011 (Academic module)