Many countries spend too much money on training of a few individuals for international sports competitions. Some people think that governments should invest more in ordinary people instead. Do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and examples.
Want to improve your essay writing skills? We have got lots of writing tips here.
There is no denying the fact that governments need to invest in ordinary people. This, however, doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t spend money on nurturing the talents of young men and women who have an aptitude for sports and games. If these athletes manage to deliver superior performance at international events like Olympics, they will bring glory to their motherland.
When athletes from nations like the United States and China fared spectacularly well in the recently concluded Rio Olympics, they gave plenty of reasons for their countrymen to rejoice. They ignited values like nationalism and patriotism. Events like Olympics give nations an opportunity to showcase their talent in front of an international audience. When players perform well in international events, it is a matter of pride for their nation. Likewise, when they perform badly, their country loses its face.
India, for example, is a nation of over a billion people. Still, the country has not been able to produce many world champions. India’s performance at the Rio Olympics was pitiable and caused a great deal of distress to Indians. Indian athletes’ poor performance at the Olympics is often attributed to the lack of adequate training facilities in the country. Unlike China, Indian government doesn’t spend too much on their athletes and this reflects in their lackluster performance. Their poor performance at Rio was a cause of shame for the entire nation and forced authorities to analyse the situation.
To conclude, the bunch of athletes who represent a nation at international events are much more than a few individuals. They represent the entire nation. They carry the hopes and aspirations of their nation on their shoulders. Their performance brings glory to their motherland and improves its standing among world nations. Therefore, I strongly believe that the government needs to hone their skills by providing them adequate facilities.
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of globalisation
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- Band 7 essay sample: People spend a lot of money on celebrations. Is this justified?
- IELTS topic card: Describe a country that you would like to visit
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?