The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
There is no denying the fact that the clothing and fashion industry dictate the way we dress ourselves. Youngsters, in particular, are easily influenced by the latest fashion trends. Now fashion shows are being organized even in smaller towns and children as young as three years want to wear the latest model clothes. All of these are signs of the growing influence of fashion industry. Unfortunately, this trend has both positive and negative aspects.
Fashion helps people dress well. Fashionable clothes make us more presentable. When people dress fashionably they feel good about themselves. This boosts their level of confidence and makes them perform well in the workplace. It is now a known fact that people who dress and look well have better chances of getting a job. Even if a person is not blessed with naturally good looks, they can make themselves more presentable by dressing well. That is where fashion helps.
On the flip side, fashion can blind people. Fashion trends are often launched by films and rich people. What celebrities wear on and off screen soon become a craze with the general public. In a bid to become the most fashionable among their peers, youngsters often spend insane amounts of money on clothes and other accessories. This could make their poorer friends and colleagues feel inferior. What’s more, fashionable clothes are not always the best. Fashion trends that originate in the US or Europe may not suit the climate or the culture of Asian countries. This often leads to a conflict of interest.
In conclusion, clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. However, this trend has both advantages and disadvantages. Fashion is good as long as it helps people feel good about themselves. When it becomes an obsession it does more harm than good.
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS Essay: Older people are going to outnumber younger people…
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS sample essay: A lot of older people suffer from loneliness these days
- IELTS Model Essay