Some cultures value old age while others value young age. Discuss both attitudes and express your opinion.
This question is taken from www.ieltsielts.com
There is a popular belief that age brings wisdom and that probably explains why some cultures value old age. On the flip side, old age is also a period of increasing dependence. Old people can never match the dynamism of their younger counterparts. So which age is better? Let’s examine.
Aged people have more experience behind them. They have seen more life. As a result of this they have a deeper understanding of the problems of the world and are more capable of making judicious decisions. In the Indian culture aged men and women command great respect in the society. Theirs tend to be the last word in matters of utmost importance. Young men and women in the family may have better educational qualifications, but they still listen to their aged parents and grandparents.
Consider the case of world leaders. Most of them are men and women in their sixties or seventies. They are chosen leaders for their ability to handle situations with more maturity. All over the world, people who occupy higher positions aren’t exactly young. Youngsters may be full of energy and enthusiasm, but they lack experience and the maturity that comes with it. They are also more likely to get carried away by their emotions or excitement.
On the flip side, old age is a period of increasing dependence. As people age, their faculties may get impaired. They may have trouble remembering things or taking sound decisions. Unfortunately, this is an inevitable part of the process of aging. People also become much less productive in their twilight years.
After analyzing the situation, it is felt that both ages have their merits and demerits. Age may bring wisdom, but it also makes people dependent. The truth is that no society can survive without the energy and enthusiasm of its youngsters. And if they receive the guidance of their aged counterparts, they will be able to work wonders.
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- IELTS essay: Do you think that moving abroad for better jobs is good?
- IELTS Essay: There is an increase in violence in society because police officers carry guns. Do you agree or disagree
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- IELTS sample essay: Modern technology has made our lives more complicated
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS writing task 2: Do you think that training is necessary to be a good teacher?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- IELTS Essay: Are multinational companies good for the economies of developing countries?