IELTS essay: Should museums charge an entry fee?
Should arts-related entertainment venues such as museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge apply for admittance?
Discuss this issue, and give your opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
Some people believe that museums and art galleries should charge an entry fee; others, however, do not agree with this view. In my opinion, the application of the entry fee should depend upon the specific form of entertainment provided.
An exhibition of foreign arts and artefacts should be chargeable because the host country has to spend a lot of money to bring exotic artefacts and other art forms into their country. The US, for example, held an exhibition of arts and crafts about the Egyptian culture and they charged a fee. I feel that charging an entry fee is perfectly acceptable in such cases. The fee will help the host recover the transportation and maintenance costs involved in displaying those works in the museum.
On the other hand, entry to local museums and art galleries should be free for the local people as well as foreign visitors. Local museums reveal the ancient history and culture of a country. They are the pure reflection of the local culture. Many local museums store the books, magazines, video clips and important documents that help visitors understand the history of the country. By offering free entry into these museums the government can also help spread the culture of the country.
In conclusion, the specific form of the entertainment should determine whether there should be an entry fee. An exhibition of foreign arts and collections require funds for maintenance and hence there should be an entry fee in this case. Local museums and art galleries should be sponsored by the local government.
- Academic Task 2 (Essay) as seen in Iran
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- IELTS Speaking test in Singapore: Questions and answers
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS speaking questions with answers
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- IELTS speaking test in Iran – January 2012
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?