IELTS essay topic
Many people believe that the gap between rich and poor is widening nowadays, because in the current economic situation the rich become richer while the poor become poorer. What are the problems this situation may cause? What measures can be taken to solve them?
There is no denying the fact that the rich are becoming richer and the poor are becoming poorer. This disparity in income is a direct result of the flawed economic reforms that governments undertake.
The existing economic scenario in most countries only benefits the rich. In order to make money one needs access to education, technology or capital. The rich people already possess one or more of these. The internet, for example, created millions of jobs all over the world. However, only those who have access to the technology and the hardware can benefit from these jobs.
Most nations now follow a capitalistic economic model. Capitalism does not help the poor and the needy. It exploits their ignorance for the benefits of rich corporations. For example, big corporations are buying products from illiterate farmers at throwaway prices. They then sell these products at exorbitant rates and make a kill. The rich are taking over the land of the poor at cheap rates. After developing this land, they sell it for a huge profit. In the modern world, only those people who have access to capital or a good education can succeed. Since the poor people are unlikely to possess either, they are getting marginalized.
This situation causes numerous problems. Everyone should benefit from development. Sections that are excluded will feel resentment and may get into crime. To avoid this, the government needs to formulate polices that benefit the entire society. One way of ensuring this is to launch benefit programs for the poor. The government needs to ensure that everyone has access to education. This can be ensured by providing free education to the poor sections of the society. The government should also ensure that poor people have access to loans.
To conclude, political will is required to ensure the development of all sections of the society. Both the rich and the poor are members of the society and deserve the same treatment.
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS essay sample | Free education will help fight poverty in developing nations
- IELTS essay about financial assistance to poor nations
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments fund higher education?
- IELTS essay sample | Economic growth is the measure of a nation’s development
- How to address ‘do you agree or disagree’ type essays
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- IELTS about the growing popularity of part time jobs