IELTS essay sample: Should uniform be banned?
Some people think that uniform at school is unnecessary and should be banned. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
The school uniform serves several practical and beneficial purposes and hence I am against banning it. In this essay I will explain why the uniform must not be banned.
First, uniform helps create community feelings in children. When children wear uniform to school, they feel like they are all part of the same institution. This improves their relationship with one another.
Second, uniform creates a sense of equality. In every school, you will find children coming from different cultural and financial backgrounds. Some students can afford to wear new clothes every day. Some can’t. When everyone – both rich and poor kids – wears the same clothes to school, no one feels superior or inferior. In my opinion, this is the biggest advantage of wearing uniform to school. Clothes can convey a lot of information about a person’s family background. Uniforms, on the other hand, do not reveal these details. This helps the students in many ways. If uniforms are banned and children are allowed to wear whatever they like, students coming from poor families may develop an inferiority complex when their richer classmates arrive in expensive designer wear every day.
Third, the uniform serves as an identity proof. A uniform is much more than a piece of clothing. When students wear uniform, it is easy to recognize which school they belong to. This also creates a sense of brotherhood among students. They feel attached to other students who wear the same uniform.
Finally, students don’t have to waste time thinking what they should wear to school. Uniform helps save time for school authorities as well. They don’t have to worry about students wearing inappropriate clothes to school.
To conclude, there are several benefits to wearing uniform and students should be required to wear it to school. Uniform helps create a sense of equality and community feelings in children.
- IELTS essay about people wearing clothes of the same kind
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- Band 9 essay sample: Should mobiles be banned in public places?
- IELTS essay: Should computers be banned from the classroom?
- IELTS essay: Should zoos be banned?
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- IELTS test in Saudi Arabia (academic module)
- IELTS about the growing popularity of part time jobs