Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not a problem because life will be easier if there are few languages. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement.
The following is an edited version of an essay submitted by one of our students.
Every year many languages become extinct. Some people believe that many of these languages are not required. In their opinion, if everyone spoke the same language, it would make our lives easier. While this is true to a certain extent, I strongly believe that local languages need to be protected too.
It is true that if everyone speaks the same language, our lives will become easier. First of all, this eliminates the need to learn languages of other countries and saves us a lot of time and energy. Actually, we can use this time to perform other more fruitful work.
Secondly, when just one or two languages are used at the international level, it results in transparency and better communication. For example, English is the most widely used language in the world. Its international acceptance has made it the language of business and communication. Someone who speaks English can visit any part of the world without having to worry about language problems. This, however, does not mean that except for English, every other language should be allowed to die. English is important; so are other languages.
Extinction of languages whether they are used nationally or internationally will result in the death of core cultural values, customs and traditions. When languages die out, the culture associated with them will also die in due course of time. This can have disastrous consequences.
To conclude, languages need to be protected from extinction. They developed over thousands of years and reflect the culture of the people who speak them. If they die their culture won’t be able to survive. To make international communication easier, everyone should be encouraged to learn a second language like English.
- Band 9 essay sample: Can we allow languages to die?
- IELTS essay sample | Languages are dying around the world. Is this a positive development?
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- IELTS Speaking practice test
- Band 9 essay sample about international marketing
- IELTS essay about foreign films and local films
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- IELTS essay sample: Some scientists believe that only certain species of wildlife should be protected
- How to improve your band score?