IELTS essay sample | Private schools should be banned
Some people say private schools should be banned because they give students an unfair advantage on others. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and include relevant examples from your own experience.
Private schools are mushrooming because they provide better education. Unlike government funded schools they charge a fee. Still, parents send their children to private schools. Some people, however, feel that private schools should be banned because children going to those schools have an unfair advantage over those attending government schools. I don’t agree with this view.
Children attending private schools tend to get higher grades than those attending government schools. Private schools charge a fee. If they don’t provide good education, they will run out of business. Perhaps the biggest argument against private schools is that only rich students can attend them. Poor families still depend on government funded schools. Since many of these schools don’t provide quality education, the poor students are at a disadvantage. However, this problem cannot be solved by eliminating private schools from the scene.
Everyone should have access to quality education. In a country like India parents invest too much in their children’s education. I know families that borrow money to send their children to private schools. Instead of banning private schools, the government needs to do something to improve the quality of state-funded schools. If they were providing quality education, parents wouldn’t be sending their children to private schools in the private place.
Teachers at government schools are better qualified than private school teachers. They land the job after scoring good marks in various eligibility tests. By contrast, many private school teachers merely possess a degree. Still, their hard work ensures that their students have good grades. Many government school teachers, by contrast, lack commitment. They are not accountable to any. They will receive their salary whether their students pass their exams or not. This needs to change. The government should introduce a grading system that measures the performance of teachers as well. Those who lack commitment and sincerity should be dismissed promptly.
To conclude, banning private schools will not solve the problems plaguing our education system. Private schools address a need and that need should be met. In order to ensure that everyone has access to quality education, the government needs to improve the standards of government schools.
- IELTS essay sample | Should students attend extra classes after school
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- IELTS Essay: Some believe that students who fear their teachers excel academically…
- IELTS essay: Should computers be banned from the classroom?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?