IELTS essay sample | Government should increase tax in air travel
IELTS Essay Topic
Air Traffic is increasingly leading to more noise, pollution, and airport construction. One reason for this is the growth in low-cost passenger flights, often to holiday destinations.
Some people say that government should try to reduce air traffic by taxing it more heavily. Do you agree or disagree?
Sample IELTS essay
There is no denying the fact that air traffic leads to more air and noise pollution. Some people, therefore, feel that the government should tax it more heavily to discourage people from traveling by air. However, I am against that idea. In my opinion, increasing the tax on air travel will affect the economic development of the country.
The availability of low cost flights is the main reason that makes air travel more attractive. If tax is increased, it would make flights more expensive and less attractive. However, this move will affect the tourism industry which employs millions of people. Tourism is the backbone of many economies. Take, for instance, the case of Singapore. This small country attracts millions of tourists from all over the world because low cost flights to Singapore are available from most countries. If Singapore increased the tax on air traffic, it would reduce the number of foreigners visiting that country. It is thus evident that imposing heavy taxes on air travel will have serious repercussions on the economic development of a nation.
Affordability is not the only reason that made air travel popular. It is also convenient. It is indispensable for many business executives because it saves their time. If tax on air travel is increased, it would increase the operating costs of these companies and make them less profitable. What’s more, air transport is also used for the movement of goods. If it is taxed more heavily, it would increase the cost of essential goods.
In conclusion, I believe from the above mentioned points that the government should not increase taxes on air travel but look for other sustainable solutions to limit air traffic. For example, by improving the reliability of road and railways, the government can discourage people from taking a flight to travel short distances within the country.
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS Cue Card | Describe the perfect job | Travel writer
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS essay: More people are traveling than before. Why is this?
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Speaking sample questions with answers
- Band 9 essay sample | Increase in the amount of garbage reaching landfills