IELTS essay sample | Economic growth is the measure of a nation’s development
Economic progress is often used to measure a country’s success. However, some people believe that other factors are more important. What other factors are more important? What other factors should also be considered when measuring a country’s success? Do you think one factor is more important than others?
There is a common belief that development is all about achieving economic growth. If we use this yardstick, western countries are the most developed in the world. Some people, however, believe that economic growth is just one of the many factors that contribute to the development of a nation. I agree with this view. In my opinion, the overall quality of life and the freedom that people enjoy in a country are all important factors to consider.
Some Middle Eastern countries are economically developed; however, they have authoritative governments that give little importance to personal freedom. In many of these countries, people cannot speak about the government or express their opinions on the internet. The plight of their women is even worse. They are deprived of education and many of them don’t even have the right to vote. In my opinion, in spite of their economic growth, these countries cannot be considered developed.
Countries in the west are generally considered developed because of their prosperity and improved standards of living. In these countries, too, many people experience loneliness and lead unhappy lives. It is evident that all that prosperity does nothing to improve their lives.
Economic growth is important. People should be able to satisfy their basic necessities and lead healthy and happy lives. However, economic development alone won’t make a nation developed. Safety, happiness and freedom of speech and expression are all important things to consider.
To conclude, economic prosperity is just one of the many factors that determine the success or development of a nation. The overall quality of life is determined by a lot of other factors. These include access to quality education, healthcare, safety and freedom.
- Band 7.5 essay sample: Developed nations should give financial aid to undeveloped nations
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- IELTS Model Essay
- IELTS essay about financial assistance to poor nations
- Band 8 sample essay: Nations should cooperate with one another to solve environmental problems
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- Band 9 essay sample: Is living alone a positive development?
- IELTS essay sample | Languages are dying around the world. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers
- IELTS Essay: Are multinational companies good for the economies of developing countries?