IELTS essay sample: Computer technology has more of a negative impact than a positive impact on the society. Do you agree?
IELTS essay topic
Computer technology has had more of a negative impact than a positive impact on the society? How far do you agree with this statement? Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience.
Every coin has two sides; computer technology is no different. However, I can’t agree with the argument that its disadvantages outweigh its advantages. Yes, there are some negative aspects, but in my opinion, there are many more positive aspects.
Computers and the internet have made us more efficient. Today huge amounts of information are available online. If we have a computer and an internet connection we can access the whole of this information from anywhere in the world. The internet has made it possible for us to stay connected to our near and dear ones all the time. It has made it possible for people to work from their home and get paid. Thanks to the internet, we can now learn foreign languages without leaving our country.
Computers have increased our efficiency. We can now perform more tasks in less time. Jobs that took weeks or months 20 or 30 years ago can now be done in a matter of hours. Computer technology also allows doctors to diagnose diseases more accurately. It helps us to predict natural calamities and save lives.
There are some drawbacks as well. People’s privacy often gets violated on the internet. Also, in the recent past there have been several incidents of hacking. Malicious software programs like viruses can infect computers and compromise the personal and financial information of the user. However, in most cases, these problems can be controlled with a little effort. For example, by installing anti-virus programs on their computer, people can protect their computers from malware and spyware.
To conclude, computers and the internet have improved our lives in many ways. There are some negative impacts as well, but they cannot be a hindrance for the positive development of mankind.
- Band 8 essay sample about the impact of computer use on children
- IELTS Essay: Has technology made us more efficient?
- IELTS Essay: Technological innovations have affected our lives. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay sample: Television is good for us. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- IELTS essay: Should computers be banned from the classroom?
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of the internet
- IELTS sample essay: Modern technology has made our lives more complicated
- Band 9 essay sample | Printed books and magazines have lost their importance