IELTS essay sample | Advantages and disadvantages of living alone
In some countries, more and more people are choosing to live alone nowadays than in the past. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
There has been a dramatic increase in the number of people who live alone. This trend is more rampant in the west than in Asian countries. In my opinion, living alone has its advantages and disadvantages.
I will start with the advantages. People who live alone are better at shouldering responsibilities than those living with their family. They ensure that their rents and bills are paid on time. They learn to take care of themselves. They can cook and clean. In short they know how to lead an independent life. This lifestyle is particularly beneficial to people who seek total privacy. People who live alone are also able to do whatever they want to because there is no one to restrict them. In short, they are free birds.
On the flip side, there are several disadvantages to living alone. People who live alone are more likely to develop psychological problems like depression. Man is a gregarious creature. We are hardwired to find happiness in the company of others. When we isolate ourselves, we will face several problems. The biggest disadvantage of living alone is the lack of emotional support. Lonely people have no one to offer them support or guidance when they face problems or defeats. An unrestricted lifestyle may also make them addicted to several bad habits. This will ruin their life and relations. Worse still, they have none to help them during an emergency situation such as an illness or a natural disaster. For instance, one of my friends who lived alone in Australia recently died of a heart attack. When he experienced pain in the chest, none of his family members or friends was there to help him.
To conclude, living alone has both positive and negative impacts on our lives. In my opinion, every one of us has the right to lead a lifestyle of our choice. However, we need to ensure that our preferences do not hurt our family members or ourselves.
- IELTS essay about advantages and disadvantages of home appliances
- Band 9 essay sample: Is living alone a positive development?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of modern communication technologies
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- Band 9 essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of longevity
- IELTS essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of the internet
- Band 9 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of working from home
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping