IELTS essay sample | Academic institutions does not have to offer train in woodwork or tailoring
Academic institutions should only deal with academic studies and passing examinations. Skills such as cookery, woodwork, tailoring are better to be taught at home by family members and friends. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement? Give reasons for your answer and include relevant examples from your own experience.
Most academic institutions do not provide proper training in vocational subjects like carpentry or tailoring. They set aside 30 or 40 minutes a week for vocational training. In my opinion, that is enough. Not all students want to be a cook or a tailor. Those who would like to can get training from other places.
Everyone needs to receive at least basic training in academics. That is the reason these subjects are compulsorily taught in all schools. Vocational subjects, on the other hand, are optional. Only those who are interested in them need to learn them.
Schools already teach a lot of academic subjects and there is no justification for adding more subjects to the curriculum. Students who do well in academics do not normally aspire to be a potter, driver or tailor. Instead, they want to become doctors, teachers or engineers. These jobs are well-paid, secure and prestigious. The training that they receive from academic institutions is enough to equip them with the skills they need to achieve their goals. Therefore, I do not see anything wrong with educational institutions focusing on subjects like science, mathematics or literature.
Adding vocational subjects to the curriculum will only burden the students. Students who lack the aptitude for academic subjects and who would like to receive vocational training can learn the basics of these subjects from their schools itself. If they are convinced that they have what it takes to be a carpenter or a tailor, they can join vocational schools that provide training in these subjects. Alternatively they can learn the craft from a family member, neighbour or friend. This arrangement works fine and I have never heard a carpenter or a tailor complaining about the lack of training facilities for them. This is a clear sign that training in such vocations is already easily available.
To conclude, academic institutions do not have to provide training in cooking, carpentry or pottery. There are vocational institutes for this. Students who have an aptitude for such subjects can join these institutions and master the craft. And those who are not interested in them can focus on academics instead.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- IELTS essay sample about fresh graduates lacking interpersonal skills
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Academic and general training writing module
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- IELTS essay sample | Should students attend extra classes after school
- IELTS writing task 2: Do you think that training is necessary to be a good teacher?
- Academic Task 2 (Essay) as seen in Iran