Studies suggest that the rise in the consumption of junk foods is the major cause of obesity. Some people argue that this problem can be tackled to a great extent by increasing the price of these food items. Do you agree or disagree?
Obesity or excessive fattiness has become a major health crisis all over the world. The worst thing about obesity is that it leads to major diseases such as heart trouble, diabetes and in some cases even cancer. One of the major causes of obesity is the rise in the consumption of junk or fast foods. These food items contain high levels of unhealthy fats which make people gain weight. Some people argue that this problem can be solved to a great extent by increasing the price of junk foods. Interestingly, this argument is true to a great extent.
Consumers are a price-sensitive lot. Market studies have always proved that there is less demand for pricey items. This is one of the reasons why companies often launch new products at reduced or even half the prices. When the prices are low even those people who don’t really need the product are likely to buy it. The demand will automatically go down when the prices go up. This is especially true in the case of food items.
One of the reasons behind the popularity of junk foods is their affordability. If their prices go up, few people will be able to buy them. This will automatically reduce their consumption. What’s more, when fast foods become unaffordable people will automatically turn towards home-cooked healthier items. This will not only improve their overall wellness, but also reduce their weight.
After analysing the situation, it is easy to see that high prices can be an effective way to discourage the consumption of fast foods. In fact, if countries put this idea into practice, there will be fewer fat people around.
- IELTS Vocabulary – verbs indicating fall and rise
- IELTS vocabulary – note on the use of adjectives and adverbs
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them