Some say that young and energetic employees are the more valuable for the company, others argue that older employees have more experience and knowledge. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and examples, based on you own experience.
A typical organization employs both young and old people. It is impossible to say whether young employees are more valuable than old employees or vice-versa because both of them have their plusses and minuses.
Startups tend to hire younger employees because they need energetic people who are full of innovative ideas. Young people can come up with interesting and unique ideas that have the potential to become hugely successful products or services. Take a closer look at the IT sector. It is not hard to see that most startups are founded by young men or women.
There is another benefit to hiring young people. Many of them are unmarried and hence free of domestic duties and liabilities. This allows them to work long hours. Also, young people are well-versed in new technologies. They are more flexible and adaptable. Better still, they are less expensive because young employees are paid less than old employees.
On the flip side, youngsters lack experience. They may be bustling with ideas but many of them lack the skills or experience required to implement those ideas. Also, young people tend to act rashly. Older employees have years of experience in the industry. They have connections that can help their organization in many ways. They have seen the ups and downs of the business and can even foresee trends. This ability makes them an asset for the organization. They can also guide the younger folk.
After analyzing the situation, it is not hard to see that an organization needs both young and old people to function successfully and having the right mix of fresh and experienced employees will help it scale new heights. Businesses have already recognized the benefits of hiring people of different age groups. I don’t expect this trend to change anytime soon.
- Young employees are more valuable than old employees | Band 7 essay samples
- Band 7 essay sample: Decisions should be made by managers and not employees
- IELTS Essay: Older people are going to outnumber younger people…
- IELTS essay: Should retirement age be increased?
- IELTS essay sample: Employees should not be asked to work overtime
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- IELTS sample essay: A lot of older people suffer from loneliness these days
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS essay: Are artists valuable to society?
- IELTS Essay: Some cultures value old age