Writing task 2 (an essay)
Some people believe that public celebrations like national days and festivals are a waste of time. They are of the opinion that people should spend money on more important things. Do you agree or disagree? Support your arguments with examples from your own experience.
Festivals bring cheer and provide an opportunity to celebrate. They help us forget the bitter realities of our existence and hope for a better tomorrow. Needless to say, people all over the world celebrate special occasions like national holidays and festivals. It is true that insane amounts of money are spent on these public celebrations but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are a waste of money or other resources.
Festivals and national holidays are perhaps the most eagerly anticipated occasions of the year. The best thing about public celebrations is that they bring people together. For example, Diwali is celebrated in all parts of India. This festival not only brings people together but also helps them stay connected with their culture and values. Nowadays it isn’t uncommon for different members of a family to live in different parts of the world. They hardly get an opportunity to meet one another. In most cases festivals are the only occasions they get together. One cannot put a price tag on the joy one gets from spending time with one’s dear ones.
Diwali is also the busiest shopping season in India. It is true that people spend enormous amounts of money of gifts, sweets and fireworks, but one cannot overlook the boost this Diwali spending gives to the Indian economy. In the same way, Christmas and the associated holiday shopping season bring cheer to the US and several other economies.
National festivals also foster national integration. They invoke a sense of unity among the people. When people celebrate an occasion together they forget about their religious, cultural or other differences.
After examining the situation it is not hard to see why festivals are so important and how they help us stay united. And hence the argument that public celebrations are a waste of money doesn’t hold much water.
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- IELTS Sample Essay: Some people think that it is our moral duty to help the poor.
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- IELTS essay: Do you think that moving abroad for better jobs is good?
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS speaking questions with answers
- IELTS Essay: Some cultures value old age