IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language
IELTS essay topic
Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is in order to travel to or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reasons why someone should learn a foreign language.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Travel and work are obviously the most popular reasons to learn a foreign language. People all over the world learn foreign languages like English, German and Spanish with the objective of living or working in countries where these languages are spoken. This, however, does not mean that someone who has no intention to visit or work in a foreign country does not have to learn a foreign language. Actually, learning a second or third language benefits everyone.
Language improves our cognitive skills. Studies have shown that bilingual people are smarter than people who speak only one language. Multilingual people are even smarter. Learning a foreign language helps our brain in many ways. It allows us to make connections faster and remember things better. It is not surprising that bilingual people earn higher salaries and make better relationships.
Thanks to the advent of the internet, the world has become a village. We can now meet people from all parts of the world online. If we speak a foreign language, we will also be able to talk to them, share ideas and get answers for our questions. This clearly explains why an inability to speak a foreign language is a disability in this modern world. When we learn a foreign language, we also develop respect for the culture of the people who speak that language. This understanding and admiration for other cultures forge better relationships between people and nations.
To conclude, there are numerous benefits to learning a foreign language. Travel and work are just two of them. Language skills also make us smarter and better.
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Speaking part 2: Talk about a situation where you had to communicate in a foreign language for the first time
- IELTS Speaking practice test
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample | Languages are dying around the world. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS essay sample | Should languages be allowed to die?
- IELTS essay: All learning should be done online
- Band 9 essay sample: Can we allow languages to die?
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history