IELTS essay about the causes of stress
It is a fact that people nowadays are under a lot of pressure and their lives are becoming increasingly stressful. What could be the possible reasons for this? What are some solutions to address this issue?
Stress has become part and parcel of our lives. Even young children lead stressful lives these days. Increasing competition is the number one cause of stress. Everybody wants to achieve more and more. They want to do better than their peers. People are never happy with what they have. This perpetual struggle to do better than one’s peers leads to stress and causes many health problems.
The modern society glorifies workaholism. Employees are forced to burn the midnight oil to meet crazy deadlines. Cut throat competition exists in the job market and if one isn’t willing to stretch oneself thin, one can get laid off. Most people have several financial liabilities. Getting laid off is the last thing they want to happen to them. So, they work harder and harder. They don’t find time for their family or themselves.
Social media also plays a role in causing stress. People post exotic images of their holidays and rant about their expensive acquisitions on social media. They have just one mission – they want to show that their lives are actually better than the lives of others. This makes their friends feel inadequate.
Perhaps the biggest problem that plagues our world is the pursuit of material gains. We equate happiness with cars, villas and foreign vacations.
In my opinion, the only way to beat stress is to look for meaning in life. Instead of rushing after material gains, we should look inward and connect with our true nature. Setting priorities is equally important. We should ask ourselves what we want to achieve in our lives. Once we have a clear idea of our goals, we can toil towards them at our own pace. This approach actually makes our lives a lot less stressful.
- IELTS essay written by student: Should children be encouraged to cooperate?
- Sample essay: does money bring happiness?
- Band 7 essay sample: People spend a lot of money on celebrations. Is this justified?
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- IELTS essay about celebrities and their personal lives
- Essay: Our grandparents think that their lives were simpler and better
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- IELTS Model Essay
- Band 9 essay sample: Social media addiction
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events