IELTS essay about quality of life in cities
IELTS essay topic
The quality of life in large cities is decreasing. What would be the reasons behind this? What measures can be taken to resolve this problem?
Cities make huge contributions to the growth and development of a nation. They provide employment opportunities and because of this reason, they attract job seekers from all over the country. The influx of migrants makes cities crowded and affects the quality of living.
Take, for instance, the case of Mumbai and Delhi. These are the largest cities in India, but they are also the most polluted ones. Pollution causes many health problems and affects the overall quality of living.
Pollution isn’t the only problem that affects the inhabitants of our cities. Many of our cities don’t have adequate health facilities or infrastructure. Traffic jams are common and people often have to spend hours to commute to work. As a result, they get hardly any time for themselves or their family. This affects their work-life balance and overall sense of well-being.
Stress is another factor that plays havoc with the health of urban dwellers. It is true that cities provide well-paying jobs but many employees are under tremendous pressure to achieve targets and meet deadlines. They miss out on the little pleasures of life and often develop psychological problems like depression.
The government can improve the quality of life by building infrastructure and providing adequate transportation facilities. There should be places for recreation. For example, every city should have parks and playgrounds. What is even more important is to develop tier II and tier III cities. There is a limit to the number of people that a city can accommodate. If government provides job opportunities in small towns, people will not have to move to large cities.
To conclude, overpopulation is the main problem that affects our cities. To solve this problem and to improve the quality of living in cities, the government has to develop smaller towns surrounding big cities.
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- Band 8 essay sample: Is salary more important than the quality of the workplace?
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?
- IELTS speaking test in Mumbai – January 2012 (Academic module)
- Band 6 essay sample: What are the causes of having children later in life?
- IELTS Essay: Should single adults be encouraged to study and live away from their parents
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS speaking test in India September 2013
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- IELTS essay: Youngsters prefer to move to the city whereas seniors prefer the countryside