IELTS essay about parents buying too many toys for their children
Some parents buy their children a large number of toys to play with. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a large number of toys? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
Compared to the past, children now have more toys. In my opinion, having more toys is beneficial to the overall development of the child. However, too many toys may also cause some problems.
Age appropriate toys help the mental and physical development of the child. There are many life lessons that children can learn from their toys. For example, when kids play with balls, they learn to share. Spider Man is the role model for many children. Since this fictitious character fights the bad guys and saves the virtuous, children who adore him also learn the importance of being good and fighting injustice.
Toys also teach children to be responsible. Girls all over the world love their Barbie Dolls. They wake the doll up in the morning, comb her hairs and dress her with beautiful clothes. This way they are learning to take care of others. Toys also offer companionship. Many families now have only one child. Toys make children feel less lonely when their parents are away.
Parents’ habit of buying too many toys for their children has certain disadvantages too. To start with, children who have too many toys to play with will have hardly any interest in maintaining them. They know they will get another toy if they break one. Bad toys can also cause behavioural problems in kids. Guns, for example, can make children aggressive. Children who played with toy weapons during their childhood may as well acquire a real weapon when they grow up.
To conclude, there is no harm in buying more toys for children. Children who get to play with a large number of age appropriate toys are more likely to have better cognitive skills. They are also less likely to develop depression. However, choosing the right toys is extremely important. Parents need to ensure that the toys that they buy will have no negative impact on their children.
- IELTS essay sample: Advertisements targeting young children should be banned
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS practice: What happens when both parents work?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- Band 7 essay sample: Should children be disciplined?
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?