IELTS essay about growing crime rate
In many countries, the amount of crime is increasing. What do you think are the main causes of crime? How can we deal with those causes? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Over the last few years, there has been an alarming increase in the crime rate in many countries. There are several causes to this worrying trend. Consumerism, for example, has made people greedier. And greed fuels crime. There are several other causes too. In this essay, I will examine the causes of crime and suggest ways to control this menace.
We are now living in a materialistic society where human values are dying. Everyone wants to live in palatial homes, drive luxury cars and use the latest gadgets. When people can’t earn enough money to satisfy their cravings for material goodies, they get into crime. Cybercrime, for example, is on the rise. Hackers are actually intelligent people, but instead of using their talents for the betterment of the society, they are breaking computer networks and stealing passwords and credit card numbers to make some quick bucks.
The media also plays an important role in the growth of crime. Movies and television programmes glamourise criminal activities. Youngsters who watch these programmes arrive at the conclusion that being a criminal is fashionable. They get into crime without realizing its consequences.
Parents and teachers can play an important role in controlling crime. They need to keep a tab on their children. If we look at the history of criminals, it is not hard to see that many of them are coming from dysfunctional families where they have none to show them the right path. Reducing unemployment is another solution. A lot of people are compelled to commit crimes because of financial problems. If the government can create more jobs, there will definitely be a drop in the criminal activities. The media too should stop popularizing crime.
To conclude, growing consumerism is the number one cause of crime. However, if parents, teachers, governments and the media make a concerted effort, we will be able to control this growing menace.
- IELTS Essay: Rise in crime-rate among teenagers
- IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?
- Crime rate among teenagers is on the rise: Essays written by students with suggested corrections
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- IELTS essay about lack of discipline among youngsters
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- Sample essay: Can scientists detect criminal tendencies in a child by mapping his brain at age 3?
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- IELTS essay: Is internet good or bad?
- IELTS essay about the depletion of natural resources